Saturday, September 4, 2010

No Pain, No Gain


Despite what a lot of people hope happens in life, most of the time, if you don't put the time and effort into the things you do, whether it be in your schooling, your career, your weight loss, your exercise goals, new year's resolutions, you won't get significant gains. Life tends to be hard, and I am (most of the time) happy that it turns out that way. You have the opportunity to learn far more from your failures than your successes.


When I started this blog, I faced several challenges. #1 - train for and complete my first half marathon. #2 - figure out my legal future and find a job that works for what, and who I want to be. #3, somehow manage to maintain this blog in an amusing fashion that attracts others.


Well, a little over three months later, I am still working at these things, but the hard work seems to be paying off. I will be completing my final long run tomorrow with a friend, a 20k run before my taper week and first half marathon. It still seems too far away to be real. I still don't feel like a true "runner" most days, I feel like I am still just learning the ropes. However, I am ok with that. My first half with automatically be a PR, so the goal is to complete it, view it as a success and learn from the experience. I may never complete another half (who knows at this point) but I will be able to take the things I have learned, like hill training, fartleks, fuel and even the limits of my own body, and apply them to whatever distance I want.


As for my #2 goal, things have thankfully came together. I went and had two very positive interviews, at two very different firms on Thursday, and to my surprise, after a two hour interview with one of the firms, I was given a job offer! I have been so happy that no matter what happens at this point, I will have a law job by the end of the month. I am waiting to see the results from the other interview before deciding, just because the two firms are SO different (different areas of law, different cities(!), different sized firms, different pros and cons to each) but I finally know that something WILL be working out.
I am a little nervous, mostly because it is a big choice, and means big life changes for myself and our family. With a steady income, we can keep working towards buying a house and getting ourselves to where we want to be. I mean, I have to buy a car!!! Terrifying to face for your first time. Worse than wedding planning. But the terror is mellowed by the fact that I will have a schedule, a career, and I won't be stuck in the place of depression and hopelessness that I had been before. Thanks to everyone here who supported me, and of course, I will update on where I ended up, and some of the trials and tribulations of working as a new lawyer, like the possibility of having to drive over an hour each way to work!


#3 - well, I have been trying my best to amuse you all. I started with no followers, I am up to fifteen (hello everyone!!!) and I have been enjoying myself. I don't get to post as often as I would like, but that's life. I will keep trying to make it interesting, and hope you all keep reading!


That's it for now since this post is a bit long, I will update on this week's running and my newest blog award tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the offer! WooHoo!
    You are so a runner too! Good luck with the long run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope things workout with the job! You are a runner as soon as you start calling yourself one. Good luck on the half!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job with the job offer, that's awesome... hopefully you'll get your pick between the two so that you can even more hard decisions to make. ;) And, to echo those comments before mine, once you started running (and especially signed up for a race) you became a runner. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete